Scripture: Mark 2:13–2:22
January 19, 2014
I. Jesus calls Levi the tax collector. Mark 2:12-13
II. Jesus eats with sinners and tax collectors. Mark 2:15-17
III. The question concerning fasting. Mark 2:18-20
IV. Two illustrations. Mark 2:21-22
Questions for Reflection:
• Why is the call extended to Levi to follow Jesus surprising?
• What does the call of Levi to become Christ’s disciple show us about the radical nature of discipleship? How much change was required of Levi?
• What do you think Jesus is teaching us when he dines with ‘sinners and tax collectors’?
• Who are the ‘sinners and tax collectors’ in our society?
• What does the illustration of the new wine/old wineskins teach us about the nature of the
kingdom of God?