Marriage and Divorce Part 2
Scripture: Mark 10:1–10:12
Marriage and Divorce
August 24, 2014
I. God’s purposes for marriage.
A. Covenant of companionship. Mark 10:6-9; Malachi 2:14
B. Godly children. Malachi 2:15
C. Hence, a Christian should only marry another Christian. 1 Corinthians 7:39;
2 Corinthians 6:14-15
II. What happens if a spouse divorces improperly. Mark 10:10-12; 1 Corinthians 7:10-11
III. Two cases where divorce is permitted.
1. The case of sexual immorality. Matthew19:9
2. The case of desertion. 1 Corinthians 7:12-15
Questions for Reflection:
• What are God’s purposes for marriage?
• What might be some of the reasons for the high rate of marriage failure today?
• How can we encourage and strengthen biblical marriages?