A Summer Rest from Sunday School
As summer is quickly approaching, we again take time to give thanks to God for another great year of Sunday School teaching. We are blessed with godly and capable teachers at every level of Sunday School. I hope that this past year, God has grown you in some way as you or your children experienced Sunday School.
As last summer, this year the Session, the Christian Discipleship Committee, and the Staff want to challenge you to embrace rest this summer.
From June 18th and going through August 13th, we will have no summer Sunday School for all ages. We believe a rest from Sunday School would be good for our teachers so that they can excel in their ministry again in the fall. Thus the last day of Sunday School will be on June 11th and then we will all return to Sunday School again on August 20th.
But we are not taking the summer off from spiritual growth!
Rather, we want each of you to consider how you can use this summer more strategically in your evangelistic outreach and personal spiritual growth. Here are some ideas:
- Consider using time before the Worship Service for family worship (see Family Worship, by Donald Whitney)
- Consider getting together with someone before the service or during the week to pray and read the Bible together (for a simple guide, see One to One Bible Reading, by David Helm)
- Consider inviting a family over for a meal on Saturday or Sunday
- Consider inviting neighbors over for a dessert or a meal
- Consider reading a book that would grow you (stay tuned for some book ideas!)
We may be taking off Summer Sunday School, but like last summer we do not have a free pass to not grow this summer. Commit yourself with me to follow Jesus this summer. Choose one of these ideas as a path that will help you follow Jesus more closely. Pursue ways to grow in your loving of God, loving one another, and serving the world.
If you have any questions at all about this summer, please do not hesitate to ask.