Journey to Easter Day 3 devotion
Journey to Easter Devotion
Journey into Jerusalem
Context: 1 Chronicles 17; John 12:12-17; Luke 19:28-46; Mark 11:1-11; Matthew 21:1-17
Focus: Matthew 21:1-11; 1 Chronicles 17:11-14; Zechariah 9:9-10; and Matthew 7:21-29
Questions for family discussion
For younger children.
- What did the people shout?
- Who was David? What did God promise about David’s son?
- So what are the people saying about Jesus? Is it true? [Parents explain that the people were looking for a king to free them from the Romans and restore the kingdom of their people. This was not God’s plan for him at that time. Later this week we will see how he is the king forever.]
- Did the people want Jesus to be king of their heart and rule over their lives? Did they want to obey him or have him give them what they wanted?
- Do you want to obey Jesus or just have him give you what you want?
For older children and parents.
- How do the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:21-29 apply to this incident in the life of Jesus?
- Which house do you think most of those shouting “Hosanna to the Son of David!” were building--on the rock or on the sand?
- Which house are you building? How do you know?
Prayer and Praise
When our hearts are submitted to Jesus as King, we are truly able to praise him. Sing ”Jesus Shall Reign” together or reflect on the words as a family.
Music video with the Gettys can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmcxmySBPE
Pray from the *40 Day Prayer Covenant:
- Enable me to praise you, O Lord, with all my heart.
- Jesus, be Lord of my life today in new ways, and change me any way you want!
- Fill me with your Holy Spirit.
- Make me an instrument of your grace, truth, forgiveness, righteousness and justice.
- Use me today for your glory, as a witness to your kingdom, and to invite others to follow Jesus Christ as Lord.
- Gracious Father, I pray in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior and in the power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.