Journey to Easter Day 5 devotion
Journey to Easter Devotion
Journey to the Garden
Context: John 18 and Luke 22:39-53; Matthew 5:38-48; Romans 5:8
Focus: John 18:1-11 and Luke 22: 47-52; Ephesians 2:1-5
Questions for family discussion
For younger children
- Who are Jesus’s enemies in this story?
- How does he treat them? Why does he treat them like this?
- Remember Day 1 of our journey? Who is Jesus’s ultimate enemy? How is Jesus going to treat him? Why?
- Ephesians 2:1-3 says that in our sin we are all partners with Satan and deserve his curse, We all have been or still are God’s enemies. How does Jesus treat us? Why? (See vs. 4-5 as well as Romans 5:8)
Questions for older children and adults
- This is an arrest scene. Who is giving the directions? What does this tell you about him?
- In these narratives, how does Jesus deal with his own pain?
- How does he deal with the pain of others?
- In these narratives, how does Jesus deal with confusion and chaos?
- What does this show you about Him, especially in light of what we know is about to happen?
Prayer and Praise
Listen to or sing the hymn, “Go to Dark Gethsemane”
Lyrics found here: https://hymnary.org/text/go_to_dark_gethsemane
Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6tcMroY0A
Praise Jesus for what he has shown you to be true of him in today’s scriptures.