Open Doors, an international ministry that keeps tabs on Christian persecution, just released their 2020 World Watch Report on persecution. As these refer to our brothers and sisters around the globe, we have a responsibility to know what is going on with God's people.
Here's some quick facts from their new report:
- The top five countries that persecute Christians: 1) North Korea; 2) Afghanistan; 3) Somalia; 4) Libya; 5) Pakistan
- Statistically, persecution jumped by 6%, with over 260 million Christians world-wide living in high persecuted zones
- On average, 309 Christians were newly imprisoned every month in 2019
- On average, 8 Christians were killed each day in 2019
- On average, 23 Christian women were raped or sexually harrassed in 2019
- 9,488 local churches were attacked around the globe in 2019
- In 2003, there were over 1.5 million Christians in Iraq & Syria. Today: only about 202,000.
- Chinese persecution has statistically sky-rocketed; Open Doors is particularly concerned about the new waves of persecution in China
I encourage you to make yourself informed. Download their report and read through it. Understand what is happening to your brothers and sisters around the globe. They need our prayers. We need them, and they need us.
...through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God. Acts 14:22